This is a quick curry and the kids love chickpea curry in general. The chickpeas are like tiny balls, which first attracted my son to try the curry. To this day he still calls it balls koora (curry) and DD does the same now.
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp channa masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves ( optional
- 2 tsp salt ( or to taste)
- 5 green chillies ( slit vertically)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste ( or to taste)
- 1 dry red chilli
- In a large flat bottom pan heat oil on medium heat. add the red chilli, mustard and cumin seeds. After 30 seconds add the curry leaves.
- Next add the onions after another 30 seconds or so. Cook the onions till the start browning a bit.
- Add salt and all the various powdered spices. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 min.
- Drain and rinse the chick peas and add them to the pan. Cook for another five minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
- Serve hot over rice or with roti.